Indiana Statewide – In cooperation with the Indiana Department of Homeland Security (IDHS), the Indiana State Police (ISP) is forwarding this Winter Weather Assessment prepared by the IDHS to all ISP Nixle subscribers.
“As anyone who has lived in Indiana for any length of time will tell you, we can experience all four seasons within one week, and sometimes in one day”, said Capt. David Bursten, Chief Public Information Officer for the Indiana State Police. “Please heed the information in this ‘weather watch’ and evaluate your reason for traveling if the weather becomes as severe as the watch indicates is possible.”
If travel is a must, remember these points:
- Have a fully charged cell phone
- Have a vehicle emergency kit
- Have non-perishable food and water bottles in your vehicle
- Reduce your speed
- Increase your following distance
- Four Wheel Drive vehicles DO NOT stop any faster than Two Wheel Drive vehicles
- Clear snow away from headlights and taillights, as well as all windows, before driving
Your local media reports are your best source of weather information. Please do not call police agencies to ask for road and weather conditions so the phone lines can stay open true emergencies.
A great source for road information is this web site: http://www.in.gov/indot/2420.htm
For automated road information, call 1-800-261-ROAD (7623).