MARION COUNTY, Ind. – The Indiana Department of Transportation (INDOT) announced today that lanes will shift from westbound I-70 (near mile marker 83.3) to northbound I-65 (near mile marker 112.4) in advance of demolition work on I-65 over Central Avenue and I-65 over Alabama Street bridges. Overnight lane restrictions are expected to begin on or after 9 p.m. Friday, Jan. 22 and be completed by 5 a.m. Saturday, Jan. 23 while pavement is restriped for the new lane configuration (weather dependent).
While overnight lane closures will be required for this work, one through lane will be maintained throughout the overnight restrictions. In addition, the right lane of northbound I-65 in this area is expected to be closed on or after Tuesday, Jan. 26 from 7 p.m. to 5 a.m. the next morning while barrier wall is installed. Once the traffic shift, lane restriping and barrier wall installation are complete, four travel lanes will remain open with traffic in the left-most travel lane driving on what was previously the inside shoulder. The Pennsylvania/Meridian Street exit will remain open.
Next week, intermittent, overnight lane closures will be needed while the following work is completed:
- On or after Monday, Jan. 25 at 7 p.m., the left lane of southbound I-65 near Delaware Street (mile marker 113.3) to College Avenue (mile marker 112.5) will be restricted while maintenance of traffic signage is placed for future construction activities (weather dependent). Two lanes of through traffic will be maintained while signage is placed.
- On or after Tuesday, Jan. 26 beginning at 9 p.m., southbound I-65 near Delaware Street (mile marker 113.7) to southbound I-65 over College Avenue (mile marker 112.5) will be restricted to one lane while crews shift traffic and restripe pavement in advance of demolition work on the collector/distributor (C/D) entrance ramp to southbound I-65 over Central Avenue.
- One through lane for traffic will be maintained throughout the overnight restrictions, and work is expected to be complete by Wednesday, Jan. 27 at 5 a.m. (weather dependent). The right lane of southbound I-65 in this area is expected to be closed the evening of Wednesday, Jan. 27 from 7 p.m. to 5 a.m. the next morning while crews install barrier wall. Once the traffic shift, lane restriping and barrier wall installation are complete, four travel lanes will remain open with traffic in the left-most travel lane driving on what was previously the inside shoulder.
- The ramp from 11th Street to southbound I-65 will be closed from 1 a.m. to 3 a.m. on or after Wednesday, Jan. 27 to ensure the safety of crews restriping I-65 southbound for the traffic shift. During this temporary closure, traffic will be detoured to the Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Street entrance ramp.
- On or after Thursday, Jan. 28, the inside left lane of both northbound I-65 and southbound I-65 in the area of the North Split will be closed from 7 p.m. to 5 a.m. the next morning for barrier wall installation (weather dependent).
In addition to this work, the Michigan Street exit remains closed until late spring 2021. Nighttime closures remain in effect on Saint Clair Street between Davidson Street and the railroad tracks each night from 10 p.m. to 5 a.m. for the demolition of the I-65 C/D ramp over Saint Clair Street bridge. Work is expected to be complete by Thursday, Jan. 28 (weather dependent). Local traffic is being detoured to 10th Street during the overnight closures.
Detailed maps with construction-related closure and access information can be found on the North Split website: https://northsplit.com/maps/north-split/.
INDOT encourages drivers to slow down, exercise caution and drive distraction-free through all work zones.
For up-to-date project information, visit Northsplit.com or text “NORTHSPLIT” to 468311. Follow the North Split project’s progress on social media at:
Indiana motorists can monitor road closures, road conditions, and traffic alerts any time throughout the state, here: https://www.in.gov/indot/2420.htm.