The Indiana Commission for Higher Education awarded a new grant to 34 schools and community organizations serving students enrolled in the Evan Bayh 21st Century Scholars program—a state-funded, needs-based scholarship that provides up to four years of full tuition scholarships to qualifying low-income students.
The Scholar Success Grant is designed to support schools and community partners in their efforts to help Scholars enroll in the program and meet all requirements to receive their scholarships upon graduation. Beginning with the graduating class of 2017, all Scholars must complete a series of preparation activities throughout high school called the Scholar Success Program.
“The Commission is committed to increasing college readiness and success for all students—and especially Indiana’s 21st Century Scholars,” Indiana Commissioner for Higher Education Teresa Lubbers said. “These grants will help support the efforts of those schools and community partners doing the important work of preparing our 21st Century Scholars to succeed in college.”
Grants of $1,000 were awarded to schools and organizations in the Commission’s eight outreach coordinator regions. Applicants were evaluated based on their alignment with the goals of the 21st Century Scholars program, potential impact on Scholars and level of community engagement.
Scholar Success Grant Recipients
- Ben Davis High School – Marion County
- Christel House Academy South – Marion County
- Indiana Alliance of Boys & Girls Clubs – Marion County
- La Plaza – Marion County
- Ben Davis University High School – Marion County
- Paramount School of Excellence – Marion County
- Pike High School – Marion County
- Starfish Initiative – Marion County
- TeenWorks – Marion County
- Providence Cristo Rey – Marion County
- Big Brothers Big Sisters of Central Indiana – Marion County
- Randolph County College Success Coalition – Randolph County
- Blue River Community Foundation – Shelby County
- Project Leadership – Delaware County
North Central Region
- Indiana University Kokomo – Howard County
- Kokomo Housing Authority – Howard County
- Maple Crest STEM Middle School – Howard County
- The Learning Network of Clinton County – Clinton County
- Educational Opportunity Center – Allen County
- Questa Foundation – Allen County
- Project Leadership – Grant County
- Fort Wayne Urban League – Allen County
- Gary Life Education Initiative Incorporated – Lake County
- Educational Talent Search, Purdue University Calumet – Lake County
- University of Notre Dame Talent Search (TRiO) – St. Joseph County
- West Side Leadership Academy – Lake County
- Indiana University Northwest – Lake County
- Charlestown Middle School – Clark County
- Salem High School – Washington County
- Bedford Public Library – Lawrence County
- Shakamak Jr.-Sr. High School – Greene County
- Benton County College Success Coalition Benton County
- Paul Hadley Middle School – Morgan County
- Vigo County College Success Coalition – Vigo County
Now Accepting Applications for Second Round
The Commission currently is accepting applications for the second round of the Scholar Success Grant, and funding available to support 21st Century Scholars has been expanded to reach more students: nearly $450,000 is available for the 2016-2017 school year.
Indiana high schools, as well as youth-serving and community-based organizations in partnership with high schools, are eligible to apply for the grant. Total funding awarded will be based on the number of enrolled Class of 2017 Scholars who complete all 12 Scholar Success Program activities by high school graduation.
Apply for the Scholar Success Grant online at scholars.in.gov/2016-2017-scholar-success-grants.