With the arrival of winter weather, please keep these things in mind regarding the Town’s snow removal practices. Our objective is to make all the Town roads safe and passable during ice and snow events.
The Town’s policy calls for plowing to begin with 2 inches of snowfall. As you may be aware, not all streets are plowed at the same time because we divide streets into four basic categories: primary arterials, collectors, local, and courts. The primary arterials are Green Street, maintained by the Town of Brownsburg, and US 136 which is plowed and/or salted by the State Highway Department. Collector streets that provide access for everyone to work or school are the first priority for plowing and/or salting after the highway. Local streets — the neighborhood through streets — are plowed and/or salted after the collector streets are cleared. The courts and alleys are the last to be done and are typically some of the most difficult, given their size and obstructions.
We try to clear an entire street before we move on to the next. Sometimes this results in snow from the street being pushed to the curb across any and all drives along the route. We simply can’t do it any other way and sincerely appreciate your consideration regarding this matter. When you clear your drive, please do not deposit the snow in the street. This may create an unsafe situation and the Town may have to make a return trip and push that same snow back into that drive, the snow you worked so hard to clear.
As is always the case, there is the occasional mishap, resulting in a damaged yard or mailbox; however, if you will contact us we will make the necessary repairs as soon as we possibly can. This may mean that you have a temporary mail box until a suitable replacement can be installed, weather permitting. Call the Street Dept. at 852-1113 with any concerns or issues or use the convenient Action Center on the website home page.
The Town of Brownsburg Street Department would like you to keep some things in mind during the busy snow plow season:
- Please try not to park vehicles on the street, so the plows can get as much of the snow off the streets as possible.
- It would help both you and the Town if you wait until the street is plowed before you clear your driveway. This avoids having the snow plowed back into the space you just cleared.
- When you clear your drive, please do not pile the snow in the street. This may create an unsafe situation and the Town may have to return and push that same snow back into your driveway.
- Occasionally we may get an excessive amount of snow that requires the Town to plow the streets more than once during the same snow event. Keep this in mind when you clear your drive before it stops snowing.
- Occasionally, the Street Dept. has some mishaps and get too close to the edge of the road and damage either your mailbox or the sod behind the curb. If this happens at your residence or business, please call the Street Dept. at 852-1113 and we can arrange to get that fixed for you.