Despite the fact that the U.S. is struggling with a fall surge in the COVID-19 pandemic, new unemployment claims decreased week-over-week on October 12, and were 89% below the peak during the COVID-19 pandemic. To help add some context to these statistics, WalletHub just released updated rankings for the States Whose Weekly Unemployment Claims Are Recovering the Quickest, along with accompanying videos and audio files.
To identify which states’ workforces are experiencing the quickest recovery from COVID-19, WalletHub compared the 50 states and the District of Columbia across three metrics based on changes in unemployment claims. Below, you can see highlights from the report, along with a WalletHub Q&A. To see the states most recovered since the beginning of the COVID-19 pandemic, click here.
Change in Indiana Weekly Unemployment Claims (1=Quickest Recovery, 25=Avg.):
- 653.36% Change in Unemployment Claims (Latest Week vs Last Year)
- 15,941 the week of October 12, 2020 vs 2,116 the week of October 14, 2019
- 4th slowest recovery in the U.S.
- 259.52% Change in Unemployment Claims (Latest Week vs Start of 2020)
- 15,941 the week of October 12, 2020 vs 4,434 the week of January 1, 2020
- 12th slowest recovery in the U.S.
- 1,509.60% Change in Unemployment Claims (Since Start of COVID-19 Crisis vs Last Year)
- 1,074,127 between the week of March 16, 2020 and the week of October 12, 2020 vs 71,153 between the week of March 18, 2019 and the week of October 14, 2019
- 8th slowest recovery in the U.S.
To view the full report and your state’s rank, please visit: