The Indiana Department of Transportation will host six regional meetings for city, town and county officials to detail new funding opportunities for local roads and bridges through recent legislation.
In March 2016, Governor Mike Pence signed into law House Enrolled Act 1001 and Senate Enrolled Act 67, which provide more than $1.2 billion in new funding for road and bridge preservation across Indiana, much of which is targeted at improving local roads and bridges.
Cities, towns and counties have received $430 million in Local Option Income Tax distributions that can be used improve local roads and bridges. In addition, as part of HEA1001, INDOT is launching a Local Road and Bridge Matching Grant Fund that provides $186 million in match funding over the next two years to local governments that submit qualifying road and bridge projects. The new funding is in addition to the more than $200 million that INDOT provides to cities, towns and counties each year through the agency’s federal-aid program.
INDOT’s regional meetings will provide details on how to access new funding and answer questions. Dates, times, and locations for meetings are listed below in the local time zone:
- May 23 – INDOT Fort Wayne District Office, 5333 Hatfield Road, Fort Wayne, IN 46808 Morning Session: 10 a.m.-11:30 a.m. Afternoon Session: 1 p.m.-2:30 p.m.
- May 24 – Ivy Tech Crawfordsville Campus, 2325 Phil Ward Blvd, Crawfordsville, IN 47933 Morning Session: 10 a.m.-11:30 a.m. Afternoon Session: 1 p.m.-2:30 p.m.
- May 25 – INDOT Vincennes District Office , 3650 South U.S. 41, Vincennes, IN 47591 Morning Session: 10 a.m.-11:30 a.m. Afternoon Session: 1 p.m.-2:30 p.m.
- May 26 – INDOT Greenfield District Office, 32 S. Broadway Street, Greenfield, IN 46140 Morning Session: 10 a.m.-11:30 a.m. Afternoon Session: 1 p.m.-2:30 p.m.
- May 27 – INDOT Seymour District Office, 185 Agrico Lane, Seymour, IN 47274 Morning Session: 10 a.m.-11:30 a.m. Afternoon Session: 1 p.m.-2:30 p.m.
- May 31 – INDOT LaPorte District Office, 315 E. Boyd Blvd, LaPorte, IN 46350 Morning Session: 10 a.m.-11:30 a.m. Afternoon Session: 1 p.m.-2:30 p.m.
City, town and county officials should plan to attend a session near them to learn about projects eligible for funding, how to submit projects for matching funds, deadlines for project submissions, projected timelines for distributing funds, and developing an asset-management plan.