STATEHOUSE (March 10, 2022) – State Reps. Greg Steuerwald (R-Avon) and Jeff Thompson (R-Lizton) recently welcomed local students to the Statehouse where they participated in the Indiana House Page Program.
According to Steuerwald, the students toured offices of all branches of government in the Statehouse, helped staff with daily responsibilities and joined him and Thompson on the House floor to witness the legislative process.
“Participating in the House page program is a fun way to learn more about how laws are made and how state government functions,” Steuerwald said. “These young students from Hendricks County had a busy and productive time at the Statehouse, and hopefully made some good memories. It’s always exciting for me to meet our future leaders and see them so engaged.”
These area students served as pages during the 2022 legislative session:
- Carson Bowers, from Indianapolis, attends Avon High School;
- Jessica Everett, from Brownsburg, a homeschooled student;
- Kendall Shipp, from Plainfield, attends Avon Middle School South;
- Hannah Smith, from Coatesville, attends Cascade High School;
- Chloe Wheat, from Brownsburg, attends Brownsburg Middle School; and
- Olivia Wheat, from Brownsburg, attends West Middle School.
“As a state representative, I find it encouraging to see students like these visit the Statehouse and take advantage of this learning opportunity,” Thompson said. “I always appreciate when pages from the community help me with tasks on the House floor as they gain a better understanding of the legislative process.”
Thompson said students between the ages of 13 and 18 should consider participating during the 2023 session.