INDIANAPOLIS – Low-income and senior Hoosiers who need help filing their taxes are encouraged to consider the many assistance programs offered by the Indiana Department of Revenue (DOR) and other trusted organizations.
DOR offers the Indiana free file (INfreefile) program, a no-cost electronic tax filing program for qualifying Hoosiers. Individuals with an adjusted gross income of $69,000 or less in 2019 may qualify to file their state and federal taxes for free with certified, well-known vendors. Customers can learn more and see if they qualify at freefile.dor.in.gov.
Looking for in-person assistance? Consider these assistance programs:
- The AARP Foundation Tax-Aide program focuses on helping low and moderate-income individuals, with special attention to those over 50 years of age. An AARP membership is not required.
- The IRS Volunteer Income Tax Assistance and the Tax Counseling for the Elderly programs offer free tax help for individuals making $56,000 or less, persons with disabilities, limited English speaking taxpayers and individuals 60 years of age or older.
- Indy Free Tax Prep is a network of volunteer income tax assistance sites provided through the United Way of Central Indiana offering free tax preparation to individuals and families with a combined household income of $66,000 or less.
- The Notre Dame Tax Clinic is a federally-funded low-income taxpayer clinic representing clients who need legal assistance with past-due taxes and other tax issues, while educating individuals about their rights and responsibilities as taxpayers.
- The Indiana Legal Services Low-Income Taxpayer Clinic serves the community by providing free legal assistance to Indiana taxpayers involved in disputes with the IRS.
“Hoosiers have several choices to get free, expert tax assistance,” explained DOR Commissioner Bob Grennes. “We help these organizations with materials needed to accurately file Indiana taxes for their clients, including changes to legislation and updated forms. DOR encourages qualifying Hoosiers to take advantage of these trusted services if they need assistance this tax season.”
More information on free tax assistance can be found on DOR’s website at dor.in.gov/4748.htm or by calling DOR Customer Service at 317-232-2240, Monday through Friday 8 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. EST.