AVON, IN—(DECEMBER 11, 2017) Avon Community School Corporation has received a grant in the amount of $98,000 from the U.S. Department of Education. The grant was written in an effort to improve academic and social-emotional supports for underrepresented students.
The program, MISSION: STEM-POSSIBLE!, will be an engaging summer program_ _with significant counseling supports that are designed for students (Grades 3, 4 and 5) who would benefit from a hands-on and engaging STEM camp experience.
The grant was authored by Michele Frossard (AIS-West Assistant
Principal) and Dr. Maryanne McMahon (Assistant Superintendent).
“Under the direction of a K-6 administrator, teams will co-create STEM experiences as well as pilot research-based counseling programs specifically designed to address the needs of identified students,” said Mrs. Frossard. “Topics for the STEM experiences will center on beginning coding and robotics while the social-emotional component will focus on developing skills in the areas of empathy, skills for learning, emotions management, leadership and problem solving.”
In addition, the goals for the grant include:
- Training for school counselors on Tier 2 curriculum and implementation during camp and the school year
- Enhancing relationships among school professionals between the elementary and intermediate feeder schools to strategically support student needs more efficiently and effectively
- Coordinating counseling services for students who need additional support
- Professional development on STEM specific to coding and robotics
- Creation of integrated STEM modules for students at the intermediate level
- Access to high quality STEM experiences for underrepresented students
Avon Community School Corporation (ACSC) offers children high quality educational instruction with a keen focus on improving student achievement. Approximately 9,600 students are served in grades Pre-K-12 in 12 schools (seven elementary; two intermediate; two middle and one high school). ACSC operates on a balanced calendar schedule. Visit the ACSC website at www.avon-schools.org