The 100th Running of the Indy 500 Host Committee is looking for volunteers for the upcoming events.
It’s time to start our engines! May is here and we are closing in on the 100th Running of the Indy 500. This is a historic event for Indianapolis locals and visitors, and we could use your help. Volunteer registration for events and programs fueled by the 100th Running Host Committee is open and we look forward to engaging an amazing team of ambassadors.
Race Day Greeters will receive one FREE race ticket and a parking pass. This is a great opportunity for someone who has not purchased a ticket to the race.
500 Festival Volunteer Requirements, Guidelines and Restrictions
- Volunteers must be 16 years of age or older by the day of the event for which they are volunteering.
- Those volunteers younger than 18 MUST have a parent or legal guardian complete the Parental Permission Form.
- Dress Code: Volunteers are required to wear the provided volunteer t-shirt with khaki or black pants, shorts or capris and comfortable sneakers. (Dress code may vary for specific volunteer roles.)
- Only those volunteering will be allowed to partake in the refreshments, snacks and t-shirts.
- Children, family, friends or pets are NOT allowed to accompany the volunteer during any of their volunteer shifts at any of our events. If a child wants to volunteer, he or she must be 16 years of age or older and register. (See above)
- Code of Conduct: Treat everyone (visitors, participants, staff, and other volunteers) with courtesy. Never discriminate for age, gender, or race. Remain calm and level-headed in all situations. If problems occur, please contact a staff member, your team leader or a committee member. We are there to assist you.
- Shift Completion: Please be sure to complete your entire assigned shift. At the end of your shift, if you have not been relieved, please tell a supervisor and stay in your area until a replacement comes. If this is the final or only shift of the event, please check with your supervisor before leaving.
- Attendance: We depend on your commitment to participate. Your presence and prompt arrival for your scheduled shifts are absolutely necessary. When you commit, you commit to the selected shift(s) and the entire shift time. If you do not show up for more than three of your scheduled events, and do not cancel in advance, we reserve the right to remove you from future volunteer assignments and activities, including Volunteer Appreciation Day.
- Shift Cancellation: All volunteers are able to manage their itinerary on this website including shift additions, shift changes/cancellations, and adding friends/family to shifts. Use your email address and password to login and return to your registration to make any changes.
- Weather: Events are rain or shine, so please do not let rain stop you from coming – we still need you! For your comfort, dress according to the weather forecast!
- Placement: Please note, the 500 Festival reserves the right to reassign volunteer assignments based on unexpected needs or shifts in events. We will do our best to honor your first choice, but it is not guaranteed. The 500 Festival utilizes more than 3,500 volunteers to fill more than 7,000 volunteer positions for our nearly 50 events and programs; at times, schedule adjustments may be necessary. Thank you in advance for your understanding and enthusiasm while volunteering!
The 500 Festival has volunteers participate in a wide variety of opportunities; the following are a few areas where volunteer involvement is restricted:
- Alcohol sales
- Including tickets, wrist bands, tokens, or any other items used in exchange for alcohol sales
- Alcohol distribution
- Checking of Identification for alcohol sales, entry into an event, etc.
- Collecting of money
- Including tickets, wrist bands, tokens, or any items used in exchange for payment
- Transporting volunteers, participants, guests, or spectators
- Volunteers asked to transport any persons will be issued a driving record request, be at least 21 years old, and hold a valid Indiana driver’s license
- Driving of vehicle provided by 500 Festival
- Volunteers asked to drive a vehicle provided by 500 Festival will be issued a driving record request, be at least 21 years old, and hold a valid Indiana driver’s license