MARION COUNTY, Ind. – The Indiana Department of Transportation (INDOT) asks motorists to plan ahead for travel related to the upcoming NCAA Big 10 Women’s Basketball Tournament. Routes to Gainbridge Fieldhouse may be impacted by work being performed as part of the North Split Reconstruction interchange closure.
Exits currently open to traffic on the north side of the downtown inner loop:
- I-70 westbound Meridian Street/Pennsylvania Street exit
- West Street exit
- C/D exit ramp to Michigan Street I-65 southbound West Street and Meridian Street/Pennsylvania Street exits.
Exits currently open to traffic on the south side of the downtown inner loop:
- I-70 eastbound to West Street
- Illinois Street/Meridian Street exits
- I-65 northbound to Meridian Street and Washington Street exits
Vermont Street is currently expected to reopen on March 4 ahead of the tournament, weather permitting, following its closure for MSE retaining wall installation. Eastbound traffic will be redirected to New York Street and westbound traffic will be redirected to Michigan Street throughout the remainder of this closure.
Other current closures include:
- Market Street: Closed under I-65 between Davidson Street and Pine Street through March 14. Eastbound and westbound vehicular and pedestrian traffic will be detoured to Washington Street throughout the duration of this closure.
- 10th Street: Closed under I-65 and I-70 between College Avenue and Highland Avenue through March 14. Eastbound and westbound traffic will be detoured to 16th Street throughout the duration of this closure.
- Lewis Street: Closed between 13th and 16th streets through March 19. Throughout this closure, vehicular traffic will be detoured to 13th Street, Roosevelt Avenue, Commerce Avenue and 16th Street. Bicycle and pedestrian traffic will be detoured to the Monon Loop.
- Ohio Street: Closed under I-65 between College Avenue and New York Street through March 20. Eastbound traffic will be detoured to New York Street throughout the duration of this closure.
Access to downtown Indianapolis will be maintained via:
- I-70 westbound collector distributor (C/D) ramp exit ramp to Michigan Street (13-ton declared vehicle weight restriction in effect)
- Pine Street entrance ramp to I-70 eastbound from Ohio Street, Michigan Street and New York Street
- I-65 northbound/I-70 eastbound exit ramp to Washington Street (13-ton declared vehicle weight restriction in effect)
- I-65 northbound and southbound to Martin Luther King. Jr./West Street
- I-65 southbound to Meridian Street
- I-65 northbound to Meridian and Pennsylvania Streets
- All existing ramps on I-70 west of the South Split
Project information can be found at northsplit.com.
INDOT encourages drivers to slow down, exercise caution and drive distraction-free through all work zones.
For up-to-date project information, visit northsplit.com or text “NORTHSPLIT” to 468311. Follow the North Split project’s progress on social media at:
- Facebook: Facebook.com/NorthSplit
- Twitter: @NorthSplit
- Instagram: @IndyNorthSplit
Indiana motorists can monitor road closures, road conditions, and traffic alerts any time throughout the state, here: https://www.in.gov/indot/2420.htm.
For details on the lane restrictions and closures associated with the current work, please visit 511 Cars for more information.