MARION COUNTY, Ind. – The Indiana Department of Transportation (INDOT) announced today that the southbound I-65 collector/distributor (C/D) ramp to Michigan Street will close beginning at 7 p.m. on or after Monday, Jan. 18, and reopen in late spring/early summer as part of the North Split reconstruction project. The C/D exit to Ohio Street will remain open throughout the Michigan Street ramp closure.
In preparation for the closure, periodic rolling slowdowns from I-70 westbound and I-65 southbound to the Michigan Street C/D will be required for overhead sign changes Monday night. In addition, intermittent, overnight lane closures will be needed while the following work is completed:
- On or after Monday, Jan. 18, from 10 p.m. until 5 a.m. the next morning, southbound I-65 traffic cannot access the Michigan Street C/D while crews complete pavement striping. Digital signage will alert drivers ahead of this temporary closure, and access from I-70 westbound will be maintained.
- Beginning on or after Wednesday, Jan. 20, Saint Clair Street will close at 10 p.m. for the demolition of the Michigan Street exit bridge. Saint Clair Street will be closed between Davidson Street and the railroad tracks each night from 10 p.m. to 5 a.m., and work is expected to be complete by Thursday, Jan. 28 (weather dependent). Local traffic will be detoured to 10th Street during the overnight closures.
- Beginning on or after the evening of Wednesday, Jan. 27, bridge demolition will begin at the Pennsylvania/Meridian Street exit bridge over Central Avenue. The Pennsylvania/Meridian Street exit will remain open with all four lanes of northbound I-65 shifted for bridge demolition. Central Avenue will be closed between 11th and 13th streets each night from 10 p.m. to 5 a.m., and work is expected to be complete by Wednesday, Feb. 10 (weather dependent). Local traffic will be detoured to College Avenue and Alabama Street.
Detailed maps with construction-related closure and access information can be found on the North Split website: https://northsplit.com/maps/.
INDOT encourages drivers to slow down, exercise caution and drive distraction-free through all work zones.
For up-to-date project information, visit Northsplit.com or text “NORTHSPLIT” to 468311. Follow the North Split project’s progress on social media at:
- Facebook: Facebook.com/NorthSplit
- Twitter: @NorthSplit
- Instagram: @IndyNorthSplit
Indiana motorists can monitor road closures, road conditions, and traffic alerts any time throughout the state, here: https://www.in.gov/indot/2420.htm.
For details on the lane restrictions and closures associated with the current work, please visit Traffic Wise and 511 Cars for more information.