MARION COUNTY – The Indiana Department of Transportation (INDOT) wants motorists to be aware of a big traffic shift on the North Split project in Downtown Indianapolis.
INDOT will begin shifting I-70 WB traffic across the median onto the new flyover bridge starting Saturday, October 1. The transition is anticipated to be complete by Monday, October 3. This shift will also “switch” sides for the exit movements approaching the North Split, and shields will be placed on the pavement to help motorists navigate these changes.
- Motorists wanting to exit at Michigan St. (C/D ramp) will need to use the RIGHT lane.
- Motorists wanting to continue on the I-70 WB movement to I-65 NB OR to exit at Meridian/Pennsylvania St will need to use the two LEFT lanes.
Along with the traffic switch, access points on I-70 WB will also change.
- Rural/Keystone will NOT have access to I-70 WB.
Click here to view an informational video illustrating these changes.
The new traffic pattern provides a safe work area for workers within the interchange, while facilitating safe and orderly traffic flow for motorists.
INDOT asks the public to be aware of the new traffic shift and watch for slow traffic in the area. The traffic shift will remain in place until interchange construction is complete.
The North Split reconstruction project will provide safer, more free-flowing travel for the thousands of motorists who use the interchange each day. Once complete, the new system will take up a smaller footprint and increase the walkability of surrounding downtown Indianapolis neighborhoods. The redesigned interchange will improve safety by eliminating weaving and merging, leading to better traffic flow.
Access to downtown can be maintained via:
- I-70 westbound collector/distributor (C/D) ramp exit ramp to Michigan Street (13 ton declared vehicle weight restriction effect)
- I-65 northbound/ I-70 eastbound exit ramp to Washington Street (13-ton declared vehicle weight restriction in effect)
- I-65 northbound and southbound to Martin Luther King. Jr/West Street
- I-65 southbound to Meridian Street
- I-65 northbound to Meridian and Pennsylvania Streets
- All existing ramps on I-70 west of the South split
Project information can be found at northsplit.com.
INDOT encourages drivers to slow down, exercise caution and drive distraction-free through all work zones.
For up-to-date project information, visit northsplit.com or text “NORTHSPLIT” to 468311. Follow the North Split project’s progress on social media at:
- Facebook: Facebook.com/NorthSplit
- Twitter: @NorthSplit
- Instagram: @IndyNorthSplit
For details about lane restrictions and closures associated with current road work throughout the state of Indiana, please visit 511 Cars for more information.
About the Indiana Department of Transportation
Over the past 100 years, INDOT has transformed the state of Indiana into the Crossroads of America we know today. With six district offices and 3,500 employees, the agency is responsible for constructing and maintaining more than 29,000 lane miles of highways, more than 5,700 bridges, and supporting 4,500 rail miles and 117 airports across the state. Indiana once again ranked #1 in the U.S. for infrastructure in CNBC’s 2019 “America’s Top States for Business” ranking. Learn more about INDOT at in.gov/indot.
Customer Service – Have a question or comment? Contact INDOT’s Next Level Customer Service Center using any of the following methods: