INDIANAPOLIS (June 13, 2018) – Thirteen Indiana FFA members will interview for the chance to become a member of the 2018-19 Indiana FFA state officer team. The candidates will be evaluated during the 89th Indiana FFA State Convention, with the winners being announced on June 21.
“I’m confident that each candidate will make an excellent addition to the Indiana FFA organization, and I wish them all the best of luck,” said Lt. Governor Suzanne Crouch, Secretary of Agriculture and Rural Development. “Having a willingness to serve at this young of an age is truly indicative of what these students will achieve throughout their entire lives.”
Once elected, the new officers will embark on a year of service traveling across the state to promote FFA, agricultural education and the agriculture industry. This includes conducting FFA chapter visits and facilitating leadership conferences, as well as hosting career and leadership development events, among other responsibilities.
The state officer positions are president, secretary, northern region vice president, southern region vice president, treasurer, reporter and sentinel.
“Regardless of what title is on the blue jacket, participating in FFA in any capacity is tremendously valuable,” said Bruce Kettler, Indiana State Department of Agriculture (ISDA) director. “The skills they develop, both personally and professionally, will set them up for success later in life.”
The following list includes the candidates for the 2018-2019 Indiana FFA state officer team:
- Jarrett Bailey, Bellmont FFA, Decatur;
- Austin Berenda, South Newton FFA, Earl Park;
- Savannah Bordner, Carroll @ Flora FFA, Cutler;
- Jakob Davis, Tri High FFA, Spiceland;
- Nathan Deatrick, North Harrison FFA, Depauw;
- Samantha DeLey, Shenandoah FFA, Middletown;
- Chyenne Deno, South Newton FFA, Brook;
- Brittany Gonzales, Tri-County FFA, Wolcott;
- Ashby Grimes, McCutcheon FFA, West Point;
- Edwin Jefferson, Kankakee Valley FFA, Wheatfield;
- Hunter Lane, Warsaw FFA, Warsaw;
- Hannah McGee, Rushville FFA, Rushville; and
- Levi Spurgeon, Indian Creek FFA, Trafalgar.
“I am proud of each of these FFA members for stepping forward and going through the preparation and interview process,” said Rob Hays, Indiana FFA director. “No matter the results, each candidate has a promising future, and I am excited to see what they accomplish next.”
The 2018-19 Indiana FFA state officer team will be announced on June 21 by the Indiana FFA newsroom. Visit inffa.org to learn more about Indiana FFA.