INDIANAPOLIS – The Indiana Department of Education (IDOE) today congratulates 11 Indiana schools for being honored as 2023 National Blue Ribbon Schools by the U.S. Department of Education.
“We know that access to a quality education is essential to helping all students reach their full potential,” said Dr. Katie Jenner, Indiana Secretary of Education. “Our Indiana Blue Ribbon Schools are a shining example – not only in Indiana, but across the nation – of the impact we can have when keeping students at the center of all that we do. Congratulations to all of the educators, families and students who made this recognition possible!”
Indiana’s 2023 National Blue Ribbon Schools are:
- Clark County – Utica Elementary School, Greater Clark County Schools
- Elkhart County – Jimtown Intermediate School, Baugo Community Schools
- Hendricks County – Avon High School, Avon Community School Corporation
- Jasper County – DeMotte Elementary School, Kankakee Valley School Corporation
- Johnson County – Sugar Grove Elementary School, Center Grove Community School Corporation
- LaPorte County – Rolling Prairie Elementary School, New Prairie United School Corporation
- Marion County – Merle Sidener Gifted Academy, Indianapolis Public Schools
- Marion County – Bishop Chatard High School, Archdiocese of Indianapolis
- Monroe County – Saint Charles Borromeo Catholic School, Archdiocese of Indianapolis
- Porter County – Union Center Elementary School, Union Township School Corporation
- Warrick County – Saint John the Baptist Catholic School, Diocese of Evansville
IDOE and the Council for American Private Education nominated each awarded public and non-public school, respectively, for consideration in the U.S. Department of Education’s “Exemplary High-Performing Schools” category. This category honors the state’s schools with the highest graduation rates and the highest achieving students in English/language arts and mathematics as measured by state assessments.
After being nominated, the schools then completed an application detailing their curriculum, culture, leadership and engagement, which was evaluated by the U.S. Department of Education.
These Indiana schools are among 353 schools across the country to earn this distinction in 2023. With its 40th cohort, the National Blue Ribbon Schools Program has bestowed approximately 10,000 awards to more than 9,700 schools.