BLOOMINGTON, Ind. (May 13, 2018) – With construction continuing on the Tapp Road, 2nd Street and 3rd Street bridges, motorists can expect delays when driving cross town in Bloomington. Other east-west routes such as Fullterton Pike, Vernal Pike and SR 46 might be longer distances, but could reduce travel times.
Motorists traveling between Indianapolis and Bloomington and wishing to avoid potential delays on SR 37 are strongly encouraged to stay off of county roads and use the alternate routes of SR 135, I-65 and SR 67.
The following restrictions will be in place this week:
- On Sunday, May 13 and Monday, May 14, traffic will be shifted to the outside lanes of both northbound and southbound SR 37 from just south of Rockport Road to the Vernal Pike overpass to allow paving operations to begin. Paving will start on the inside lanes, and additional traffic shifts will occur next week as paving progresses.
- The current traffic configuration on 2nd Street (SR 45) remains in place. On Tuesday, May 15, law enforcement will assist with flagging operations at the intersection of 2nd Street and Liberty Drive for installation of new traffic signals. Flagging will occur from noon until 4 p.m.
- The traffic pattern on 3rd Street (SR 48) is scheduled to change on Tuesday, May 15. Traffic will be shifted to the south side of the overpass, and there will be a daily closure of one westbound lane during this phase of construction. Crews will be excavating for installation of MSE walls, removing pavement and preparing for installation of signals, lighting fixtures and sidewalks.
- On Wednesday, May 16, law enforcement will assist with flagging operations at the intersection of 3rd Street and the southbound on and off ramps to SR 37 for the installation of new strand poles for traffic signals. Flagging will take place from 2-4 p.m.
- On Saturday, May 19, law enforcement will assist with flagging operations at the intersection of 3rd Street and the northbound on and off ramps to SR 37 for the installation of new strand poles for traffic signals. The flagging will be in place from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- There will be daily single lane restrictions on both northbound and southbound SR 37 from Sample Road to the Walnut Street interchange on and off ramps. The restrictions are needed for paving operations and to make improvements to median drains.
- The right lane of northbound SR 37 from Fox Hollow Road to Chambers Pike will be closed to make outside shoulder improvements and to allow for additional drainage work.
The single lane configuration in the northern section of the I-69 Section 5 work zone remains in place. Motorists are reminded to stay in their travel lane, and that the center lane is only for turns at specified locations.
The speed limit throughout the entire work zone remains 45 miles per hour. Motorists are urged to leave ample space between vehicles and to be aware of changing traffic conditions.
All construction activity is weather dependent and the schedule is subject to change.