BLOOMINGTON, Ind. (April 9, 2018) – INDOT reminds motorists to continue using posted detours and existing signage to get through and around areas of active construction on I-69 Section 5. Online GPS mapping services may not have the most current information about conditions within the construction zone and could direct motorists into areas that are still under construction and impassable.
The Walnut Street interchange closure remains in place. The official detour is the SR 46 interchange approximately 3.5 miles to the south. The permanent closure of North Old SR 37 north of the Liberty Church is anticipated to be implemented Wednesday, April 11.
The following restrictions will be in place for the week of April 9:
- There will continue to be daily lane closures of both northbound and southbound SR 37 at Tapp Road for ongoing bridge work and paving operations. Weather permitting, on Thursday there will be a traffic shift to allow paving to continue on outside shoulders.
- Tapp Road traffic east of SR 37 will be shifted to the north to allow for bridge deck pour on the overpass on Tuesday.
- Work continues on the 2nd Street Bridge (SR 45) with no changes in traffic configuration. Traffic on the bridge deck is reduced to one lane eastbound and one lane westbound.
- At the 3rd Street Bridge (SR 48) there will be no changes to eastbound traffic. There will be a daily lane closure on westbound 3rd Street from Gates Drive to Liberty Drive to continue work on signal and light pole foundations. The westbound right turn lane from 3rd Street to northbound SR 37 will be closed daily to allow for work on the northeast segment of the ramp system.
- The northwest segment of the ramp will be restricted for drainage improvements
- There will be daily lane closures on both north and southbound SR 37 from 3rd Street (SR 48) to Vernal Pike for drainage work adjacent to the median barrier wall.
- Ongoing median drainage work will continue on SR 37 between Arlington Road to Kinser Pike.
- Work continues at the interchange of SR 37 and SR 46:
- The shoulder of southbound SR 37 to the westbound SR 46 ramp will be closed for clean-up of concrete curb installation.
- Eastbound SR 46 traffic can now access SR 37 north, but will do so in a yielded merge condition. Motorists are urged to exercise caution when merging on to SR 37, and come to a complete stop if necessary until it is safe to proceed.
- The intersection of Acuff and Prow roads east of SR 37 is closed until on or around April 15 to make intersection improvements.
- There will be daily single lane restrictions on both north and southbound SR 37 at Sample Road to allow for continuing bridge work.
- All week there will be a daily lane closure of southbound SR 37 from Stone Belt Drive (approximately one mile north of the interchange) to the Walnut Street interchange for pavement milling and paving operations.
- The right lane of northbound SR 37 will be closed daily from Fox Hollow Road to Chambers Pike for shoulder improvements and drainage work.
- Tuesday through Thursday there will be intermittent night-time closures of northbound SR 37 at Chambers Pike for bridge beam placement. Law enforcement will assist with 20-minute closures between 9 p.m. and 6 a.m.
Motorists traveling north from Bloomington and wishing to avoid potential delays on SR 37 are strongly encouraged to stay off of county roads and use the alternate routes of SR 46 east to I-65 north and SR 46 west to SR 67 north.
As the volume of construction activity increases, motorists are urged to reduce their speed, pay attention to changing traffic conditions, and drive with no distractions. All construction activity is weather dependent and the schedule is subject to change.