INDIANAPOLIS – The Indiana Department of Education today increased the number of science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) Certified schools in Indiana. This brings the total number of Indiana STEM Certified schools to 78.
“An education built upon science, technology, engineering, and mathematics is vital for academic success and life beyond high school,” said Dr. Jennifer McCormick, Indiana Superintendent of Public Instruction. “Along with great partners in our schools and the classroom, Indiana has prioritized STEM activities each and every day. I am grateful for the student-focused passion exemplified by our STEM Certified schools and I want to commend our 2019 schools for furthering Indiana’s dedication to STEM.”
STEM Certified schools were first selected in 2015. Schools are selected based on their commitment to teaching STEM disciplines throughout the entire school. STEM Certified schools exemplify a highly non-traditional approach to education, employing a great deal of inquiry, project-based learning, community engagement, entrepreneurship, student centered classrooms, integration into humanities and related arts, and out-of-school STEM activities. STEM Certified schools take this approach while following educational policies set by the state and excelling under the system of accountability. Prior to certification, each school completed a rigorous application and review process.
The following is a list of 2019 STEM Certified schools:
- Benton Elementary School – Fairfield Community Schools
- Bridgeport Elementary School – MSD Wayne Township
- Cold Spring School – Indianapolis Public Schools
- Crichfield Elementary School – LaPorte Community School Corporation
- Edgewood Primary School – Richland-Bean Blossom Community School Corporation
- Forest Park Elementary School – Clay Community Schools
- Mary Evelyn Castle Elementary School – MSD Lawrence Township
- Millersburg Elementary-Middle School – Fairfield Community Schools
- New Paris Elementary School – Fairfield Community Schools
- Southport Elementary School – Perry Township Schools
- Tri-Central Elementary School – Tri-Central Community Schools
- Unionville Elementary School- Monroe County Community School Corporation
- Avon Intermediate School East – Avon Community School Corporation
- Ben Davis High School – MSD Wayne Township
- Edgewood Intermediate School – Richland-Bean Blossom Community School Corporation
- Henry W. Longfellow Medical/STEM Middle School #28 – Indianapolis Public Schools
- Loogootee High School – Loogootee Community School District
- Plainfield Community Middle School – Plainfield Community School Corporation
To view a complete list of Indiana STEM Certified schools, please visit: www.doe.in.gov/wf-stem/indianas-stem-certified-schools. For more information on IDOE’s efforts to increase STEM education across the state, please visit: www.doe.in.gov/wf-stem/indiana-stem-education-science-technology-engineering-and-mathematics.