Avon, IN. Avon Community School Corporation (ACSC) ceremoniously turned the dirt to celebrate the start of construction for a new middle school on Tuesday, September 26. The new middle school, Avon Middle School West, will be located at 1204 South County Road 450 East.
After considerable public input and feedback, in December 2022, the Avon Board of School Trustees chose a strategic growth model to position ACSC for anticipated continued enrollment growth based on demographic studies. In addition to constructing Avon Middle School West, corporation leaders will transition ACSC from the current K-4 elementary, 5-6 intermediate, and 7-8 middle school model to a K-5 elementary, 6-8 middle school model with the opening of Avon Middle School West. This realignment maximizes usage of current schools – Avon Intermediate School East and Avon Intermediate School West will become elementary schools – and will reduce the number of school transitions for students. It also accomplishes the important goals of providing more opportunities for students and maintaining target class sizes at each middle school. Smaller schools, smaller class sizes, and fewer transitions generally support higher academic achievement based on achievement studies.
“We are excited to celebrate the groundbreaking of Avon Middle School West,” says ACSC Superintendent Dr. Scott Wyndham. “It is a significant milestone in what has been a deliberate and thorough process involving helpful input from students, educators, parents, and members of the community. It will be exciting to see work unfold in the coming months.” Due to wise financial stewardship by the Avon Board of School Trustees and district administrators, this project will be completed with no increase in the tax rate for taxpayers and without the use of 2018 Referendum funds.
The new two-story building will comprise 221,196 square feet and accommodate approximately 1,000 students, with the ability to expand to 1,125 students if needed in the future. Learning environment highlights include:
- Two-story academic wing with dedicated 1st-floor area for 6th grade and 2nd-floor area for 7th and 8th grades.
- Academic Learning Commons on the 1st and 2nd floor supports small and large group collaboration.
- Library & Innovation Center, with a large, flexible collaboration-based learning environment.
- Cafetorium with a stage designed and acoustically tuned to support performing arts concerts.
- Multipurpose gymnasiums, performing arts classrooms/labs, project labs, and cafetorium are accessible from all parking areas and easily isolated from the academic suite for after-hours building use.
- Academic and event commons include clearstory windows to bring natural light into the core of the building.
- Centrally located field sports building provides easy access and support for all sports.
- Sports fields include tennis courts, softball and baseball fields, a football and track field, a discus and shot-put area, and practice fields.
Construction is scheduled for completion by July 2025 for the start of the 2025-26 school year.
ACSC offers students high-quality educational instruction with a keen focus on ensuring that all belong, learn, and grow. We serve 10,500 students from preschool to graduation in 12 schools (one early learning center, six elementary schools, two intermediate schools, two middle schools, and one high school), and construction is underway on our 13th school, Avon Middle School West, which is scheduled to open in time for the 2025-26 school year. Our 1,500 employees dedicate themselves to the success of our diverse student population. Learn more at avon-schools.org.
Performance Services has served the learning environment needs of K-12 schools since 1998. The company is a leading design-builder for new construction and renovations, focusing on high-performance buildings with optimal learning and working environments for schools, cities, and towns. Headquartered in Indianapolis, the company has regional offices in 11 additional states. Learn more at performanceservices.com.