On the evening of July 24th and the early morning hours of July 25th, 2015 Indiana State Police troopers will participate in an enforcement check point targeting impaired drivers in Marion County. After the checkpoint, troopers will conduct roving saturation patrols aggressively seeking impaired drivers throughout the Indianapolis District which covers Marion, Johnson, Shelby, Hendricks, Hamilton, Hancock and Boone Counties.
“The purpose of enforcement checkpoints is to remove impaired drivers from Indiana roadways” stated Indiana State Police District Commander Lt. Jeff Payne. “Checkpoints also educate the motoring public of the ongoing efforts by the Indiana State Police to reduce the number of impaired driving crashes and deter anyone from driving while intoxicated.”
Reminders so motorists do not find themselves “Over the Limit and Under Arrest”:
- Plan ahead and always designate a sober driver before consuming alcohol.
- Don’t drive your vehicle if you’ve been drinking alcohol. Call a taxi or a sober friend. A cab ride is cheaper than a D.U.I. arrest.
- Take care of your friends. Never let a friend drive while impaired. Take their keys.
- If you are hosting a party, always offer non-alcoholic beverages. Make sure all of your guests leave with a sober driver.
- Never provide alcohol to anyone under the legal drinking age of 21.
Motorists are encouraged to report suspected impaired drivers by calling 911. Give a vehicle description and direction of travel.