DANVILLE, IN (March 24, 2016) — The Porch is a tearoom located in the refurbished one-room schoolhouse formerly known as District #5 Jordan School. This school was open to first through eighth grade students from 1856 through 1929.
In an effort to help Hendricks County celebrate Indiana’s 200 years of statehood, The Porch is working with the Hendricks County Historical Museum to create an educational display at The Porch about early education in Indiana that features the Jordan School.
We are seeking people who attended, or know someone who attended, the Jordan School, in hopes that they will share their personal stories, pictures of the school and its students, and any artifacts that we can include in the display.
We would like to complete the display by the end of June, so please contact The Porch by phone at 317-745-5792, or in person at 2411 E Main, Danville, Indiana, as soon as possible if you have information to share. Stories, photos, and artifacts will be credited in the display and shared with the Hendricks County Historical Museum.
As a side note, The Porch and the Hendricks County Historical Museum also welcome stories and pictures of the complete history of the building and how it has served since the school closed in 1929. This additional information will not be included in the educational display, but may be used in a scrapbook or other display.